Getting active this summer holiday
School’s out for summer and with the weather looking good for the next few weeks now is the perfect time to think about planning active and healthy activities for you and your children during the holidays.
We’ve put together a list of ideas to give you some inspiration to get off the sofa and out and about instead.
- Walking builds muscle, increases stamina and also reduces stress. It’s one of the easiest ways to get out and about as a family. Why not explore your local area, find new footpaths near you here and choose a new route to walk on an ongoing weekly basis.
- Pick Your Own is a fun fruit picking activity that children and adults alike are guaranteed to enjoy. There are lots of PYO farms so why not find one local to you and enjoy some fresh air while picking your favourite crop!
- Swimming is a great way to exercise, increase energy and boost your mood! ‘Swim Safe’ is offering a free annual outdoor swimming and water safety course for 7-14 year olds? There are 20 open water locations across the UK from June – September. The dates fill up quickly so be sure to sign up as soon as possible if you’re interested. Visit the Swim Safe website for more information.
- Dancing is a really fun form of exercise for children! You don’t need any equipment (other than music!) or to even leave the house! Why not challenge yourself and your children to create a dance routine to show off to extended family and friends. Or alternatively commit to quick dancing session to your favourite tunes every day of the summer holidays in your living room or garden!
- Junior ParkRun is series of 2k park run events on Sundays across the country that are free for children aged 4 – 14. There’s an option for adults to register for a Saturday park run too! Find out more here.
- Tennis is a great way to get outdoors and improve fitness. ‘Tennis For Free’ works with local councils to run free tennis coaching and free tennis court access. Check out their website for more details.